April 7, 2012
Scrimmage Two: Notes and Video
Video: Head coach Tony Levine addresses the media following Saturday's scrimmage.
The Houston Cougars were back at Robertson for their second scrimmage of the spring Saturday in advance of the Cougars' annual Cougars Youth Experience. CougarsDen was on hand and brings these notes from the action.
• The Cougars definitely looked sharper than their previous scrimmage at Robertson a week ago as they were able to cut down some on the false starts and low snaps.
• Starting quarterback David Piland continued to lead the pack of quarterbacks working with the first team. He threw a one touchdown and one interception Saturday.
• Cornerback Thomas Bates had a key interception nullifying a drive the Cougars first team had put together. Bates picked off the Piland pass near the goal line.
• The running game remained hit and miss as starter Charles Sims did not see action in the backfield and the other backs continued to fight for the back-up roll. Kenneth Farrow, Randall Hollimon and Terrell Douglas saw most of the snaps.
• Receiver Daniel Spencer continued his solid spring adding another touchdown in Saturday's action.
• The defense had a solid outing again with safety Kent Brooks and linebacker Everrett Daniels making very solid hits throughout the scrimmage.
• The defensive line continued to do a solid job of getting in the passing lanes and getting their hands up to bat down a few passes.
• A couple injuries of note that we will try and follow up on next week were offensive tackle Jacolby Ashworth who missed time with an ankle injury he sustained mid-week last week. Receiver Mark Roberts had what appeared to be a sprained ankle in the scrimmage Saturday and did not return to the field. Defensive end Zeke Riser had a leg injury on the final play of the scrimmage and seemed to be in serious pain. He and Roberts were carted off following the scrimmage.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial