April 5, 2012
Practice Ten: Notes and Videos
The Houston Cougars were back on the friendly confines of their own practice fields for the first time in a week. Thursday's practice was a light one with the players only dressing out in half shells after yesterday afternoon's controlled scrimmage. CougarsDen was on hand to catch the action and brings these practice notes and videos from session number ten:
Video: Head coach Tony Levine addresses the media following practice number 10.
Video: Offensive coordinator Mike Nesbitt talks following practice number 10.
Video: Defensive coordinator Jamie Bryant talks following practice number 10.
• The practice was obviously less physical than yesterdays as the team did not have on full pads but the competition was strong as usual between the offense and defense with both sides getting the upper hand at times.
• The quarterbacks had a good day in seven on seven and in team drills with David Piland continuing to work with the first team and Crawford Jones and Bram Kohlhausen continuing to split repetitions with the second team. I saw all three have solid throws at different points throughout the competitive portion of practice.
• Aaron Johnson has been a pleasant surprise his first two days at the wide receiver position this spring. He has made some very good catches in both practices and as one would expect seems to have a good grasp on the offense after working with the quarterbacks thus far this spring. With several of the first string receiver spots seemingly still up for grab, a strong finish could definitely get him in the rotation.
• Defensively today there were a couple big plays with Zeke Riser getting a tipped ball at the line of scrimmage and Dominic Miller grabbing the ricochet for an interception. Earl Foster also had an interception off a tipped pass. Kelvin King and Phillip Steward both had impressive sacks on speed rushes off the edge.
• Ralph Oragwu continued to take snaps with the first team at left tackle today but it is not clear if that is due to a change or having to do with Jacolby Ashworth being banged up some today after spraining his ankle in Wednesday's practice. The rest of the first team remained similar with Rowdy Harper at right tackle, DeAnthony Sims at right guard, Kevin Forsch at center and Ty Cloud at left guard.
The Cougars will have Friday off before heading to Robertson Stadium Saturday morning at 10:00 for their second full scrimmage.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial