April 4, 2012
Practice Nine: Notes and Video
Video: Head coach Tony Levine addresses the media following practice number 9.
The Houston Cougars were back in the Texans practice bubble again on Wednesday for the second consecutive practice due to weather. CougarsDen was on hand to catch the action and brings these practice notes from session number nine:
• Austin Wilson continues to impress from the outside linebacker position. He has an interception off a tipped pass Wednesday afternoon and has stood out with his play so far this spring. Although he is likely limited in how high he may be able to climb on the depth chart with Phillip Steward and Derrick Mathews seemingly cemented in at the outside spots, he may very well work his way into significant playing time next season.
• David Piland continues to control the first team quarterback position and seems to put more space between he and the others each practice. He looks that much more in control when he is in there than the others. At this point I will be surprised if he is not the starter at the end of spring. Crawford Jones took snaps with the second team and Bram Kohlhausen led the third team.
• The Cougars had a full on mini scrimmage at the end of practice complete with referees. They allowed the players to go full speed including tackles. To me the run game seemed to awaken for the first time this spring with Terrell Douglas breaking off several long runs of note.
• Efrem Oliphant and Earl Foster also had interceptions off of what looked like a tipped ball during the scrimmage.
• There were a number of recruits on hand including new commit Denzell Evans, big recruiting target Reggie Chevis and a pair of pretty good sized 2014 offensive linemen from Bellaire as well.
The Cougars will return to the practice field Thursday afternoon for their tenth practice of the spring before having the day off and holding their second public scrimmage at Robertson Stadium Saturday morning at 10:00 AM.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial